After managing a fairly productive year in 2012 given the circumstances, I’m making concrete plans for developing my writing this year. Plans are structured along four themes: Writing, Networking, Editing and Markets.
- Spend the first 6 months working on the first draft of my novel;
- Revise and submit the stories I started in 2012 that don’t have homes;
- Leave space for new short stories and new opportunities;
- The Included Middle once a month;
- Submit to Writers of the Future.
Networking / Social media
- Make it to at least one convention (Genrecon is the easiest for me to manage—I want to get to Conflux but it may not be possible);
- Update this blog regularly, with a mix of reviews, updates, interviews etc.;
- Participate on twitter more (I find it difficult to sit on twitter for long, I’m more of a Facebooker really);
- Attend at least 2 Writers Centre events (that’s pretty conservative, hopefully I’ll be able to get to more).
Editing / proofreading
- I’m going to be actively looking for paid work in editing and proofreading this year;
- Continue beta reading for friends;
- Do some volunteer editing /proofreading work.
Markets I’d love to crack
- Midnight Echo
- Strange Horizons
(Yep, I aim high).
Here’s to a brilliantly wordy 2013!